Controlled drug requisition requirements and instalment prescribing
18th November 2015
From 30 November 2015, an approved form will be mandatory when requisitioning Schedule 2 and 3 controlled drugs in the community. For England there is a new approved requisition form in electronic format that is available on the NHS Business Services Authority website. This replaces the form that is currently used in England. Scotland and Wales will continue to use the forms under their existing arrangements.
In addition, a new set of approved wording for instalment prescribing of controlled drugs has been introduced. The new set of wording is shorter in length and more flexible than the current set of approved wording. The expectation is that prescribers will take steps to move to the new set of approved wording in the coming months. However, all legal prescriptions which incorporate the old wording clearly establishing the intentions of the prescriber should continue to be accepted and dispensed, unless in the professional judgment of the pharmacist there are reasons why these prescriptions should not be accepted.
- Controlled drug requisition requirements and instalment prescribing
- PCF5+ 2015 pdf now available
- Safe use and management of controlled drugs: NICE guideline consultation
- Naloxone - Patient Safety Alert
- Updated resuscitation guidelines
- Naloxegol for opioid-induced constipation
- Haloperidol injection 5mg/mL supply difficulties
- Lacri-Lube eye ointment recalled
- Update on the prescribing and dispensing of pregabalin for neuropathic pain
- Disipal brand of orphenadrine tablets discontinued