Safer management of controlled drugs annual report
26th August 2010
The Care Quality Commission has published the 2009 annual report of the safer management of controlled drugs.
Risk of photosensitivity reactions with topical keptoprofen
10th August 2010
Letters have been sent to healthcare professionals from the manufacturers of topical ketoprofen preparations (Oruvail gel, Sanofi-Aventis and Powergel, Menarini) summarising the results of the European Medicines Agency (EMA) review. The Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) concluded that photosensitivity reactions of topical ketoprofen containing medicines are important undesirable effects but that the benefit/risk profile remains favourable. Several recommendations for safer use are listed including; not exposing treated areas to sunlight during treatment (even if cloudy) and for two weeks afterwards, not using topical ketoprofen under occlusive bandaging and washing hands thoroughly. These medicines should be available only under prescription. For more information see below.
Update: octreotide monograph
3rd August 2010
The octreotide monograph has been fully updated and has been published in the Journal of Pain and Symptom Management as a therapeutic review (subscription required). This version supersedes the PCF3 (first print, 2007) and the website version (dated June, 2008).
Wilcock A and Twycross R (2010) Therapeutic Reviews: Octreotide. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 40: 142148.
- Cyclizine 50mg/mL injection resolved supply problem
- Sativex reclassified as schedule 4 part 1 Controlled Drug
- Japanese translation of PCF now available!
- Die März/April Ausgabe des APM Newsletter ist fertig
- Buprenorphine therapeutic review
- Cyclizine 50mg/mL injection supply problem in UK
- SIGN lung cancer guideline for consultation
- NICE evidence summary of oral desmopressin
- NICE changes its name
- Asilone discontinued in UK