Epistatus liquid - temporary change to syringe size
14th February 2012
The oral syringe supplied with the unlicensed midazolam buccal liquid 10mg/mL, 5mL bottle (Epistatus) has temporarily changed in size from 1mL to 1.5mL. This modification was made in order to allow measurement of an adult dose of midazolam up to 15mg. However, in response to customer feedback the manufacturer (Special Products Ltd) has reverted back to the 1mL syringe size.
The new 1mL syringes will have a non-luer tip, in order to ensure full compliance with the National Patient Safety Agency (NPSA) 2007 guidelines "Promoting safer measurement and administration of liquid medicines via oral and other enteral routes".
Extra care should be taken when measuring and patients should be made aware that the syringe size supplied may vary.
- Haloperidol, cyclizine and levomepromazine UK supply updates
- NICE palliative care guidelines
- CME T34 Field Safety Notices
- Die 2. Auflage von Arzneimittel in der Palliativmedizin ist erschienen!
- Cochrane review: Cannabinoids for nausea and vomiting in adults with cancer receiving chemotherapy
- Opioids Aware: a good practice resource to support opioid prescribing
- Losec injection and infusion discontinued
- NHS England pain management formulary for prisons
- Care of the dying: NICE guidelines published
- Naloxegol approved by SMC