Epistatus liquid - temporary change to syringe size
14th February 2012
The oral syringe supplied with the unlicensed midazolam buccal liquid 10mg/mL, 5mL bottle (Epistatus) has temporarily changed in size from 1mL to 1.5mL. This modification was made in order to allow measurement of an adult dose of midazolam up to 15mg. However, in response to customer feedback the manufacturer (Special Products Ltd) has reverted back to the 1mL syringe size.
The new 1mL syringes will have a non-luer tip, in order to ensure full compliance with the National Patient Safety Agency (NPSA) 2007 guidelines "Promoting safer measurement and administration of liquid medicines via oral and other enteral routes".
Extra care should be taken when measuring and patients should be made aware that the syringe size supplied may vary.
- Topical miconazole interaction with warfarin
- RPS guidance for the prescribers of Specials
- IPC5 now available!
- e-learning Indian palliative care course
- Epistatus 10mg/mL oromucosal solution batch recall
- IPC5 available soon
- RCGP End of Life Care toolkit
- Cochrane review: Opioids for the palliation of refractory breathlessness in adults with advanced disease and terminal illness
- Methadone for pain in palliative care
- Administration of medicines in care homes