Capsaicin patch license extension application withdrawn
21st March 2012
Astellas Pharma has withdrawn its application to the European Medicines Agency (EMA) for a license extension for Qutenza® (capsaicin 8% transdermal patch). The application was to extend the marketing authorization for Qutenza® to all adult patients with exclusion of patients with pain caused by diabetes.
The withdrawal was based on the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP)'s view that the data provided would not allow the committee to conclude on a positive benefit-risk balance.
Qutenza® continues to be authorized for the treatment of peripheral neuropathic pain (PNP) in non-diabetic adults either alone or in combination with other medicinal products for pain.
- e-learning Indian palliative care course
- Epistatus 10mg/mL oromucosal solution batch recall
- IPC5 available soon
- RCGP End of Life Care toolkit
- Cochrane review: Opioids for the palliation of refractory breathlessness in adults with advanced disease and terminal illness
- Methadone for pain in palliative care
- Administration of medicines in care homes
- FDA enhances warnings for opioids
- MHRA reminder of fire risk with paraffin-based emollients
- SIGN publishes CHF patient information booklet