Capsaicin patch license extension application withdrawn
21st March 2012
Astellas Pharma has withdrawn its application to the European Medicines Agency (EMA) for a license extension for Qutenza® (capsaicin 8% transdermal patch). The application was to extend the marketing authorization for Qutenza® to all adult patients with exclusion of patients with pain caused by diabetes.
The withdrawal was based on the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP)'s view that the data provided would not allow the committee to conclude on a positive benefit-risk balance.
Qutenza® continues to be authorized for the treatment of peripheral neuropathic pain (PNP) in non-diabetic adults either alone or in combination with other medicinal products for pain.
- Calling all members - please complete our satisfaction survey!
- pH testing for nasogastric tube positioning is cost effective
- Hydromorphone injection now authorized in the UK
- PCF5+ 2016 PDF now available
- Hydrocortisone 100mg/mL injection batch recall
- Medicines optimisation consultation
- Medical device alert: insulin delivery devices
- IV carbamazepine authorized in the US
- PCF5+ 2016 pdf available soon!
- Palladone (hydromorphone) SPC updated